Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Syllabus in Literary Criticism

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia.
Course Code/Title                                                      : LITERARY CRITICISM
Prerequisite                                                                : World Literature
Course Credit                                                             : 3 units

Course Description:

The study and use of different literary theories to write critiques on selections from various literary genres.

Course Objectives:

At the end of the semester, the students should be able to:
  1. identify the history and concepts of the various literary theories;
  2. write informed critiques of various literary pieces according to the various literary theories;
  3. gain an appreciation of critiquing literary texts through the use of various literary theories; and
  4. to have integrated the PCU and CASTE values.

Course Outline:


TIME FRAME
CONTENT/SUBJECT MATTER
Week 1
I.    Introduction to the Course
      A.   Getting to know the instructor, the students, and the course
      B.   Distribution of course syllabus
      C.   Introduction to Literary Criticism
Week 2-3
II.   Structuralist Criticism
      A. Prose/Fiction                               
            1.   Elements of fiction
            2.   Responding to fiction
Week 4-5
      B.   Poetry
            1.   Elements of poetry
            2.  Analyzing poetry
Week 6
PRELIMINARY EXAMINATION
Week 7
      C.   Plays/Drama
            1. Elements of drama
            2. Analyzing drama
Week 8
      D.  Essay
            1. Types of essay
            2. Analyzing essays
 
Week 9
III. Feminist Criticism
      A. Background and concepts of feminism
      B.   Reading feminist works
      C.   Writing critiques using feminist criticism
Week 10-11
IV. Marxist Criticism
      A. Background and concepts of Marxism
      B.   Reading and critiquing Marxist literature
      C.   Marxist understanding of literature
Week 12
MIDTERM EXAMINATION
Week 13-14
V. Deconstruction/New Historical/Post-Modern Criticism
      A. Background and concepts of Deconstructivism, New Historical Criticism, and Post-Modernism
      B.  Critiquing literature using deconstructive criticism
Week 15-16
VI. Psychoanalytic Criticism
      A.  Background and concepts of psychoanalytic theory
      B.   Critiquing literature using psychoanalytic criticism
17
VII. Reader-Response Criticism          
      A.  Background and concepts of Reader-Response Criticism
      B.   Critiquing literature using Reader-Response Criticism
Week 18
FINAL EXAMINATION


Textbooks/Materials:

Abcarian, Richard and Klotz, Mark. (2000). Literature: Reading and writing the human        experience (Shorter 7th ed.). USA: Bedford/St. Martin.

Bascara, L. R. (2003). World literature (rev. ed.). Manila: Rex Bookstore.

de Guzman Rosales, R. (2012).  Literary criticism reconsidered. Malabon: Jimczyvulle Publications.

Kirszner, L. G.  & S. R. Mandell. (2001). Pattern for college writing: A  rhetorical reader and guide. (8th ed.). Boston/New York:  Bedford/St.Martin’s.
 
Tomeldan, Yolanda V. (1986). Prism: An introduction to literature. Manila: National Bookstore

Guerrero, G. T. (2013). Instructional Minutes. URL: http://instructionalminutes.blogspot.com.

--Updated November 29, 2013


 

23 comments:

  1. Hi Sir,
    Request permission to use your materials for my class lectures.
    Thank you very much.
    God bless and more power.

    HPAquines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I'd like to use some parts of the outline in my own class. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Dear Sir,

    Kindly let me use your syllabus for literary crticism?
    Thank you for sharing your work to English teachers. I myself find it very useful.

    NW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sir,

    I would like to cite some parts of your syllabus in my class.. Thank you!

    Ms. Ella...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Romeo L. Solis
    sir,
    I would like to ask a permission to use your syllabus in my english 14 class because it is of great help for my students to develop and explore more their knowledge and wisdom. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning sir. I would like to use some parts of your syllabus. It is really a great help. I am hoping to have your permission.

    Sincerely,
    Ms. Chamy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello sir, I would like to use some parts of this syllabus. It is a huge help to the students. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Sir,
    I would like to ask for your permission to use your syllabus to be used in our class. Thank you. I am a graduate of PCU batch 2005.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear all,

    Sorry for the late reply. I know you have all gone ahead and used my materials. Please do feel free to adopt/adapt my syllabus and selections for Literary Criticism. God bless you and your ministry of teaching!

    Sir G

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greetings Sir, I would like to use your syllabus for my course project. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello sir!
    I'll be using your syllabus for my class. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello sir!
    I'll be using your syllabus for my class. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Sir. Thank you for sharing your instructional material. I find it very helpful. I ask your permission to use it as my reference in organizing my own materials for my class. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Sir,
    Thank you for sharing your instructional material. I ask your permission to use it for my class. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Sir: I like this kind of syllabus. It is simple and doable. May I have your permission to use this syllabus this second semester 2019-2020?
    Thank you very much and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing this syllabus. This can be a big help for me this second semester. Please permit me to use your syllabus. God bless you friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you very much for this, po. Along with the other instructors, may I adopt/adapt your syllabus and selections po. Much thanks and more power!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for sharing this, May I ask permission to use this syllabus? This would be help for my students this semester. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing this syllabus, sir. Please allow me to use some parts of it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing your syllabus Sir. May I ask permission to allow me to use this? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear sir please allow me to use parts of your syllabus in my class.

    thanks much and Godbless!

    ReplyDelete
  21. God bless, Sir! Please allow me to use your syllabus for my class. It would really be a huge help to me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete